Monday, April 20, 2009

Aur for Liberation Day

Sunday night we left Enemonet for Aur (pronounced like hour) about 4:00PM. We cleared the pass before dark and had a vigorous sail the 60 miles from pass to pass. Three boats left at the same time so we talked on the VHF ever hour or two.

Trinda had another bout of 'mal de mer' but managed to take her watches OK. I felt fine all the way, except for being tired.

It was raining when we got to the pass at Aur, so we waited till about 7:30 to enter and were anchored by 11.

There's Trinda in front of the new dinghy after we got help dragging it up the beach. I haven't had time to install the wheels from the old one yet. Besides, they always change something. Now there is a new plastic drain plug in the back of the dinghy where I put the bolts for the wheels before. It will take some thinking to figure out how to install them this time.

After the ceremony, base ball was the order of the day. There are two villages on Aur, one is Aur the other is Tobal. So there had to be championship games, men, women, kids and tug-o-war and races.

The first pitch Trinda hit the ball right back to the pitcher and hit him... he quit and let someone else pitch! It was just practice anyway.

Wed all the boats moved from the anchorage at Aur 10 miles up to Tobal. The atoll is out of gasoline for their boats, so we all took passengers back with us. We had 16. Andy wanted to drive, and said he knew where all the coral heads were so I let him.

They ate all the chips we had, fritos, cheetos, tostados, all of them!

The cruisers and the 'world teach' teacher decided to organize a jam session. There were a couple of guitars and maybe 8 ukealalis (little Hawaiian guitars). There was a lot of singing.

Only a few of us knew 'On Top of Old Smoky' and 'You Are My Sunshine'. I think we are OLD!

We met the mayor of the atoll and his daughter. Of course Trinda made chocolate cakes for the feast the first day too. His daughter, Rosalie, wanted to learn how. She lives and works here in Majuro. Anyway Trinda took her out to the boat and made one more cake. She is supposed to have us get together here now that we are back.

She also took a bunch of the beads that Sherry (my sister) had sent us and her and two other cruisers (Linda of Hawkeye and Judy of Ursa Minor) helped the kids make bracelets and necklaces. Used up a lot of beads!

All loaded up and ready to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment