Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wallis Still

We went snorkeling today, about 3 hours. Trinda got a good sunburn. My nose got a little tender but I think I avoided the most of it. The snorkeling here is not as good as some places, but we did see some things new. They have sea cucumbers about 5 inches in diameter and 2 feet long. Most we saw before were more like 2 inches in dia. and 8 inches long. The water saw mostly clear near the reef but visibility was more like 40 feet. We went about 4 miles in the dinghy.

In Apia, I decided to re-glue the safety rope pads on the dinghy as they were pulling loose. When I started, the transom started to pull loose too. The only glue I could find the first day and used on most of it wasn't as good as the original (which ain't sa'in much!!) It started pulling loose today again, the first time we went anywhere. I don't think it is going to sink us, but it is dis-heartening! I did find some 'high temperature' contact cement afterward in Apia that I will try next time.
The catch is, you need to glue it and let it set for 24 hours before doing anything with it.. That is hard when it is your only transportation at anchor and we don't plan on being in another marina for some time yet.

We are thinking about renting a car to look around here some. Another boat, Ironey with Steve and May, want to share the cost and go with us, maybe Thursday. I'll go see if I can set it up tomorrow morning.

They only speak French and Wallis'ian here which makes it a little harder. Pierre from Vesper III is French Canadian and is fluent in Spanish and French has been walking around town with me. It is a different place when you can speak to the locals. We have found a few people with a little English though.

Trinda and I went around and checked in yesterday. The Gendaramire found one guy to talk to us (they were all Frenchmen) and the Duanea (Customs) had a guy from the West Indies who had pruty good English. It was about a 4 mile walk. Just as we were within a 1/4 mile of the dinghy Trinda twisted her knee again. It was a slow limp back! She drank lots of water and NO soda pop and she was fine by this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment